Ghostscript er en tolk for PostScript og PDF dokumenter. En PostScript talk tar vanligvis grafiske kommandoer som input, og output er vanligvis et bitmap som kan sendes til enten display eller printer. PostScript støttes i mange printere.
Ghostscript brukes hovedsaklig til:
1. Vise en PostScript fil. 2. Vise en PostScript fil for å avgjøre om den skal printes. 3. Printe en PostScript fil til en non-PostScript printer.
Ghostscript can be used as a raster image processor (RIP) for raster computer printers — for instance, as an input filter of line printer daemon — or as the RIP engine behind PostScript and PDF viewers.
Ghostscript can also be used as a file format converter, such as PostScript to PDF converter; this is often combined with a PostScript printer driver in "virtual printer" PDF creators.
As it takes the form of a language interpreter, Ghostscript can also be used as a general purpose programming environment.
Several graphical user interfaces have been written for use with Ghostscript which permit a user to view a PostScript or PDF file on screen, scroll, page forward and backward, and zoom the text as well as print single or multiple pages.
- Ghostview runs under Unix/X11. Ghostview has an unusual (and arguably counter-intuitive) user interface feature: dragging the mouse over the image pans the image in the opposite direction (the mouse moves the viewport over the image, rather than the image underneath the viewport). The effect is similar to having invisible scroll bars all over the image and is approximately the opposite of panning in Google Maps and other applications.
- gv runs under Unix/X11. gv is a visually improved version of Ghostview. Its behaviour is similar to Ghostview.
- mgv runs under Unix/X11. It is a Motif based front-end to Ghostscript. It features a more conventional user interface, with regular menus, a toolbar, and scrollbars.
- GSview runs under Microsoft Windows, OS/2, and UNIX-like operating systems. It is best known for its Windows and OS/2 versions. On UNIX it uses the GTK+ toolkit. Although under a public license, it also employs a nag screen to urge users to register so as to support the development of GSview. The registration fee is AUD$40. Software has been abandoned seemingly, there have been no releases in a few years.
- PDF Blender is a cross-platform application that converts and merges documents to and from postscript and pdf formats.
- Moonshiner is a graphical front-end for using Ghostscript to convert from PostScript to PDF, aiming to be a Linux work-alike for Adobe's Distiller.
- KGhostView runs under Unix/X11. It is KDE3 port of Ghostview.
- Okular runs under Unix/X11 and Microsoft Windows(using a poorly stable build of KDE4 for Windows). It is a KDE4 application.
- Ghostscript community site, mailing lists, Bugzilla, CVS Mal:Dead link
- Ghostscript licensing and commercial support
- Ghostscript files on SourceForge
- Ghostscript fonts on SourceForge
- GNU Ghostscript
- ESP Ghostscript
- Display Ghostscript
- Yap.app (GPLed)
- 1998 Interview with L. Peter Deutsch on history of Ghostscript project
- Ghostscript, Ghostview and GSview download
- GNU gv
- PDF Blender Home Page
- Ghostscript for DOS
- RGhost - Ruby and Ghostscript in the same project to generate documents. Supports 32 kinds of barcodes
- Moonshiner Homepage